Thursday, July 10, 2008

a little of this, a little of that

Maleah: "Mommy, I'm cold."

Mommy: "Well, put on some clothes. You're sweater is over there."

Maleah: disappears, quietly, for a few minutes.....



Then, this! (Apparently, I have the air conditioning set to "too cold!")






Ok, so I LOVE FOOD! And not just eating it. Cooking it, reading about interesting new recipes, imagining what fun/different things to blend, the colors, the textures.... I'm a closet foodie! So I'm super inspired by all the amazing blogs out there that post those beautiful pictures of recipes they've tried/created. So, being the dork I am, I decided to post my own (not so pretty..... DAMN I need a new camera!!) pic of a yummy and interesting recipe I created. This is what I had for lunch today. I'm sure I made a major culinary aux paux, but here it is none the less.

First, I cooked a chicken breast on my George Foreman grill..... those SO rock! I seasoned it with garlic, pepper, oregano, basil and a splash of lime (just because I LOVE citrus, all citrus, in everything!)

Then, I heated up some (canned, uggg!) black beans, mixed with some (canned, uggg again!) stewed tomatoes, garlic and onion flavor. Let me go on here about how I can't wait to get back to Oregon and have my OWN tomatoes from my garden to can.... ahhhhh.... and a much better selection of salt/sugar/preservative free foods.

Ok, anyway.... I just topped my hot chicken breast with the mix of black beans and tomatoes, added a sprinkle, or few, of parmesan cheese (after I took the pic, of course.....), a bit more black pepper, and YUM!

I could SO imagine this as a salad, with some whole grain organic couscous or quinoa, and maybe some feta cheese, with some olive oil.... mmmmmm.... I'll have to try that next time! Yes, I am a dork, but it's FUN!!! And YUMMY!
So now I've gotta go think about making some mint lemonade to go with our shish kebabs I'm making for dinner tonight... and should we have couscous or brown rice? oh, the possibilities! :)

2 comments:

Margaret said...

I wish I loved to cook. I love cookbooks and I keep buying them, but rarely use them. And I love good food, but I just want the food to be there, ready to eat, no effort on my part! Maybe I'll steal your recipe for tonight, it sounds really yummy, I love black beans!

kms handmade said...

hahahahaha! that story about Maleah is CUTE!